With Ricciardo snatching victory from Bottas at the Chinese Grand Prix, we look at the status of number 2 drivers amongst the frontrunners, ask is F1 for hipsters, learn about driver superstitions, get Zach's "trackside" analysis and send our thoughts and best wishes to a former racer who this week made a stunning recovery.
Hamilton is well on his way to winning the championship by something like 10,000 points after another crushing victory in Germany so we lighten the mood with some positive F1 News headlines and we look back at a very famous occurrence in F1 history for this week's quiz.
It was upsetting, unpredictable and tense; the Monaco Grand Prix was divisive and we had a lot to say about it. Besides dissecting where it all went wrong for Red Bull and Daniel Ricciardo, we examine the Hamilton/Ricciardo incident, bemoan the numerous lousy overtaking attempts that went wrong and in a Superlicense first, Rod drops a meta quiz.
- Red Bull and Toro Rosso will use Renault engines next year
- Also next year, a modified version of the Halo system will be introduced
- Ron Dennis warns teams to keep their hands off the Stoff
- Rod's favourite beer Heinekken is close announcing a major sponsorship deal with F1
- Sky's Ferrari Quiz (the basis of our Ferrari meta-quiz) in the short version and extended version
Yeeeehaw! Well that podcast title kind of writes itself doesn't it. Things get a bit schizophrenic this week we manage to pull it together to talk about the Austin Grand Prix, there's an unexplained horse race in there somewhere, references to obscure podcasts that you'll either love or hate (we hope you'll love it) and we caught up with one of the most dapper men in F1, the one and only Mr Trent Price.
- So, you should listen to Serial podcast. Seriously, it's Rod and Zach endorsed.
- Here's Trent Price's twitter account, and here's his little chat with K-Mag
- Gif of Alonso versus Button
- And here's JEV versus Grossshhhitt they were nearly three abreast going through there
- Annnnnnd speaking of being abreast... this is the boobified champagne glass Rod was talking about. It's Kate Moss, not Tara Moss. Der.
in Soviet Russia podcast listens to you.... WELCOME back to the Superlicense F1 Podcast after a slight delay. With a return to "normal" we discuss F1 news headlines from the last three weeks or so, recap the race and this week's quiz tests what you know about F1 slang terms.
It's a little longer due to F1 Dreams, and just generally we felt we owed a little more to the community so lean back or set that treadmill to "extreme" and enjoy!
- Jenson Button's on-board lap of Mt Panorama home of the Bathurst 5000
- Here's the full "Monkey News" that Rod was referencing...
- And here's every "Monkey News" ever because internet
- Check out Zach's other favourite design podcast The Nudge, they are great guys and wicked smart
Zach and Rod make a triumphant return from their week in Singapore to rip through all the news, happenings and good vibes from the Singapore Grand Prix. It wouldn't be an episode of Superlicense if it didn't go far longer than necessary, but to be fair we also touched on the inaugural Formula E race, a listener F1 dream and much more.
- Because the episode was going to be a few days late we recorded this video on our hotel rooftop (yeah, poolside)
- Heidfeld's spectacular crash to start the Formula E season
- Rod's piece for Last Word on Sport arguing that Formula E would have been better off ditching the drivers' championship. Crazy? Perhaps...
- Just so the F1 fans don't feel left out, he also wrote about the F1 Grand Prix (yeah, also poolside)
- And here's Justin Timberlake not catching a basketball
M-M-M-M-Monza! I'm pretty sure if there's one place in the entire world that a pretty lady could get away with actual murder it's the Italian GP. Rod and Zach discuss the race, breakdown all the news that fit to print, Zach excels in the "Were They Teammates?" SuperQuiz and we reference far too many non-F1 things to mention here.
- Great work from Lewis Hamilton to recover from this horrendous start
- One of Ricciardo's best moves of the race was this one on Sergio Perez
- Even Hamilton doesn't like the podium boo-ing, so can we all just agree not to do it?
- A report on how/why/who? the FIA are going to limit team radio
Well, the summer break is well and truly over and if you thought some time away was going to allow the drivers to cool off you've got another thing coming my friend! We decompress the race for probably far too long, unleash the Superlicense Predictions Podium, Zach slaps Rod with a Spa Francorchamps quiz and there's many references to Bane for some reason. Enjoy!
- Our mate Michael Lamonato from Box of Neutrals wrote up this piece about F1 and embracing the 21st century
- Rod's "no holds barred" review of the Belgian Grand Prix and the icky aftermath
- Turns out many people have made a scalectrix kit of Spa, but here's a good one
- What a lame-o Zach is that he's never heard of Monty Python's "Fish Slapping Dance"?
Ahhhhhhhhhh, it's the last race before the summer break - we rip into the controversial Hungarian Grand Prix, Zach gives us a quiz about food and food adjacent food-like things, we finally get to break some news on the podcast (although, with a 24 hour delay between recording and getting the episode edited and released it's not new anymore... shhhhh, you never heard anything) and we sizzle our Summer Break Episode!
SPRING BREAAAAKKKK, yeah!
- Rod failed to deliver a race review after the German GP, but made up for it with this killer recap of Hungary.
- Maybe have a bizarro photo of Sebastian Vettel while you're on a roll.
- Colin Kolles IS a dentist, we weren't making that up.
- I hope you've seen Halt and Catch Fire otherwise the title will make no sense (or less sense anyway).
Holy wow, we made it to Silverstone the land of the free and the home of the brave (literally). We talk about the race, but you probably could have guessed that, Zach throws down a Formula E quiz (don't forget, we will probably cover the FE races later in the year) and Rod teases a new interaction opportunity - TELL US YOUR F1 DREAMS! Have you dreamt that you were lined up at the Supermarket next to Jenson Button? Were you ever racing an F1 car, only to fly off the track and land on the oval of your primary school while dressed as Spiderman? We want you to email us text or audio of your F1 dream and we'll pick our favourites for the upcoming season break episode.
- What IS with that weird Silverstone sculpture? High art? We don't get it.
- You catch watch listener Roarzz's British GP simulation where he takes William Williams all the way to 7th
- I couldn't find footage of Richard Wilkins hosting "Keno", in fact we may be confusing it with "Keynotes", but here's him hosting the short-living Australian version of MTV in the 90s
- The mysterious post from Maurice Chibert, of the Superlicense theme song fame, discussing his secret project. Come on, Mo. You're meant to be our friend. Just tell us what the Formula E cars are going to sound like already!
Canada eh? Just kidding, we were ecstatic that Daniel Ricciardo took his maiden race victory in Montreal this weekend. It might not sound like it because we were pretty zapped, but I can assure you our hearts were lifted.
You can tell from the response of the crowd that it was a popular victory, even the old grinch Vettel was full of praise for smiley Dan so we felt really lucky to have witnessed it. Being able to share the experience with the fans on our first ever live stream was a big bonus (I think we'll do it again, we'll work out something around the ads, sorry again folks!).
- First thing is first... Perfect Strangers, ammirite?
- Massa v Perez v Wall. Wall wins. Who was to blame? Here's Massa's view,Perez's view, an overhead view and Vettel's view. I can't see how Perez did anything wrong. Apparently Massa is calling for a harsher penalty against Perez, I reckon if Perez can appeal the decision he probably should.
- The Audi ad (that doesn't feature Mark Webber :/) for Le Mans.
- If you missed the live stream and want to check it out the whole damned thing is here... it's warts and all including us sitting around waiting to start things, but you can't complain about lack of content this week.
- Here's the gif Roarzz made of Zach's hand gestures. Boobs, really? Why Zach?
It's the Australian Grand Prix baby and we have a MASSIVE episode to drop on you. We talk you through our first-hand experience of the opening round of the 2014 season at Albert Park (we even find time to talk about the race) and we de-mystify the Daniel Ricciardo disqualification. We hope you ate your Weetbix because there's also a SuperQuiz, News and.... Rod synced up the "oh yeah!" at the end this week. So that's a plus. Yeah.
Turns out the show is so long the internet is almost full, but here's a few bits and pieces...
- Rod's video of the crowd cheering Ricciardo around the second last corner of the race
- I don't know what Zach's been smoking, but there's about a million Hofbrauhaus' around the place
- We're not "selling" Superlicense t-shirts, but if you want one we'll sell you one. They look like this (Zach not included)