Like Lewis, Rod is in severe conservation mode this week but we pull one out of the proverbial bag to tribute Niki Lauda, question Leclerc's mental state, and Zach asks... "which Ferrari driver would you want to have been number 2 alongside?"
It's a good, old-fashioned sleep-deprived grumpcast this week as we look back at the most controversial race of the year. With team orders being the topic du jour, Rod and Zach also discuss the proposed qualifying changes, fixing the engine penalty system, we play "Kvyat or nyet" and unpack the hidden meaning of a 90's RNB classic.
Vettel claimed the biscuits in Australia, leaving Hamilton to settle for the water-crackers and Bottas picking at the crumbs. After a polarising race, we make wild judgements about the remainder of the season, shine a spotlight on grand prix promotional events, and we get to the bottom of just how many Verstappens are on the track at any given moment.
It was hyped to within an inch of it's life, but the US Grand Prix did deliver some interesting talking points even if the drivers' championship remains on life support. We discuss which drivers are staying put, which are moving on and which new-comers look like existing drivers. Did you like the pre-race hype-o-rama? Us neither, and we work out definitely "Which F1 Driver are you?" via a highly scientific measure (the results may surprise you).
Hamilton is well on his way to winning the championship by something like 10,000 points after another crushing victory in Germany so we lighten the mood with some positive F1 News headlines and we look back at a very famous occurrence in F1 history for this week's quiz.
Rod and Zach cover the Canadian Grand Prix, dig into a lacklustre weekend for both Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Rosberg, cast dispersions about Ferrari's strategy and uncover Lewis Hamilton's beverage of choice.
Rod and Zach waste no time getting straight into their Japanese Grand Prix coverage this week, including as much of the F1 news as was known at the time, Rod looks to Jenson Button for some trivia inspiration, an "overtake cake" is mentioned for some reason and we pretty much overcook it by the end of the show - hopefully you'll still find it entertaining enough! ;)
Phwoar what a controversial finish and we thought we'd do something a little different like talk about it for far too long. What do you know about the Monza banking? Not much? Well the Superquiz will help you out and why the heck is the title called "Like a baboon heart"? Well if you're looking to this extract for answers you are SOL, better have a listen to the episode instead.
Rod and Zach finally return to the mic to discuss the British Grand Prix in Silverstone, we talk about the rain, point an accusing finger at Williams, ramp up speculation over the driver market and Rod throws down a musical SuperQuiz that is guaranteed to make you shake your groove thing.*
- Is Ashton Martin joining F1?
- Force India unveils "Mega" new nose
- Formula 1 2016 Calendar now approved
- Webber almost signed with Ferrari and Ricciardo should consider it too
- ... and Rod is loving the Webber autobiography
* - Guarantee not guranteed
What a race! Glamour, controversy, you couldn't have asked for more and Rod and Zach are here to dive into all of it. Do you think refuelling is a good idea? Perhaps a refuelling SuperQuiz will help you make up your mind, and stay tuned after the show for a special "After Dark" bonus section.
- Here's all the points on the F1 Strategy Group's meeting including proposed rule changes
- Is Kimi Raikkonen going to be replaced by Valterri Bottas
- A study has found that alcohol advertising appears once every five seconds during the Monaco GP, so will it be banned eventually?
- Here's Sebastian Vettel's "Shit Lap of Monaco"
- Rod and Fake Charlie Whiting were tweeting about some Safety Car ideas, here they are fleshed out
- And a race recap discussing the poor timing of the Mercedes Monaco gaffe
Traditional frenemies Rod and Zach recap the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix, serve up the juiciest news stories, challenge their F1 knowledge and visit websites that no one should ever have to visit.
- Buy a t-shirt or sticker to keep the podcast going! :)
- Rod's race recap for The Roar
- Some thoughts on sparks returning to F1
- Since the listeners have been killing it with the fan art recently... we made a gallery (Yowza!)
Once again Rod and Zach bring you all the F1 action that's fit to print and some that isn't fit for anything truth be told. We catch up on some Formula 1 news, a very successful designer inspires a SuperQuiz and listeners are treated to the triumphant return of a fan-favourite segment... F1 Dreams.
Hope you enjoy the show and as always stay subscribed! ;)
Hear all about Rod and Zach's "eventful" grand prix weekends, we unravel the Giedo van der Garde vs Sauber court case that threatened to bring Formula 1 to it's knees (and learned a thing or two about the team in the Super-Sauber-Quiz). All that and a bumper crop of predictions in the season opener of the Superlicense F1 Podcast.
- Do youself a favour and check out these amazing F1 / Game of Thrones graphics that superfan Karen made, good work chicka!
- Hello, Qually! If you missed Rod's qualifying recap you can check it out on SoundCloud (and maybe subscribe because there will be approximately 18 more throughout the year!)
- Two hemispheres, one race: See the faces on the face-places of the people that Rod and Zach spent the race with
Don't forget that between races Rod will be watching the Australian GP from 1998 as part of his parallel season review, you can read his thoughts on the race and plenty more at www.superlicense.com.au.
Season 2015 is so close you can almost feel it breathing down your neck and your old mates Rod and Zach are back to preview the 2015 season. We have a chat to F1 journalist Matt Clayton and crazy F1 Statman Jack, get you grey matter ticking with a Superquiz and some
- Come to the Superlicense Melbourne Meetup on Sunday 8th March, 4pm @ The Boatbuilders Yard in South Wharf
- Matt Clayton's twitter, worth a follow before the season
- Jack's F1 statblog and twitter account
Don't forget to send your predictions for the next grand prix to us on the @Superlicense twitter account or email your audio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our home on the web at www.superlicense.com.au for more information.
It's been a long time coming, but apart from covering the final throws of F1 news for the year, the third round of the Formula E and giving the SuperQuiz one final crack for 2014, we can finally unveil the cross-over that our audience has been demanding for so long.
Throughout history there have been numerous meetings of the minds, two brilliant entities coming together to advance the cause of humanity; Socrates and Aristotle, Albert Einstein and Mileva Maric... Larry Emdur and David Koch.
For the first time Superlicense and Box of Neutrals have joined forces, and the result is truly epic. For over two hours the trials of tribulations of the 2014 F1 season are hashed out, with many pointless divergencies and indefensible examples of slander. We thought it was a fantastic way to finish off the year, there's certainly plenty of content here to tide you over for a while and there'll be plenty more to come in 2015 so that's about all we have to say about that.
We want to say a massive thanks to the following people for their assistance and support throughout the year:
- Paul Crowder, director of 1: Life on the limit
- Nathan Harper, head mogul at Beer Mogul games and creator of Formula Legend
- Kate Walker
- Trent Price
- Janice Rochford for having us on the E-lectric Formula E Podcast
- Michael, Rob and Peter from Box of Neutrals for their support throughout the year and taking part in this week’s epic podcast cross-over
And last but not least YOU THE LISTENERS!
SEE YOU IN 2015
*** Details of the Superlicense Melbourne meet-up are on the Facebook page ***
Well we did it. We know who won, the high is wearing off but that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun talking about the race, and contest that never was and touch on the Formula E, a Fame and Fortune SuperQuiz and some of the best audio predictions you will ever (yeah, EVER) hear!
You won't want to miss this one AND we still have a season review episode to come - good times.
- Direct link to the Melbourne meet-up on the Facebook page
- Vettel has arrived at Ferrari for the (really) pre-season testing and it's super awks
- Watch a truck jump an F1 car, amazeballs
- All round brilliant human Innocent Steph sent us some delicious biscuits so we thought we'd document the occasion
- Check us out on the E-lectric Podcast for the preview episode of the Malaysian GP (many more to come hopefully)
- The indie game that Zach mentioned is called "Thomas Was Alone" and it's available for iPhone/iPad (and probably other things). Recommended!
- Here's the super-embarrassing interview with Bernie E where he pretty much makes a mockery of Formula One
- AND finally here's friend of the show Nathan and fantastic listener David's Movember pages, please support them if you can!
Oh man, we've reached episode 40 which explains those aches and pains!
This week we'll deconstruct the Brazilian GP, Rod tests Zach's knowledge of championships this went down to the wire, F1 dreams gets a run and we use up all the of the champagne.
*** Superlicense meet-up drinks will be planned before Zach takes off for the UK, so stay tuned if you live in the greater Melbourne area! ***
- Eddie Jordan interviews Bernie Ecclestone
- GIF of Massa pulling into the Mclaren pit
- GIF of the camera angle when Kvyat overtook Perez
- Here's the video of Grosjean designing his helmet (select "CC" and select English, if you don't speak French)
- That thing where you change things you observe is called the "Observer Effect" and it's closely related to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
Yeeeehaw! Well that podcast title kind of writes itself doesn't it. Things get a bit schizophrenic this week we manage to pull it together to talk about the Austin Grand Prix, there's an unexplained horse race in there somewhere, references to obscure podcasts that you'll either love or hate (we hope you'll love it) and we caught up with one of the most dapper men in F1, the one and only Mr Trent Price.
- So, you should listen to Serial podcast. Seriously, it's Rod and Zach endorsed.
- Here's Trent Price's twitter account, and here's his little chat with K-Mag
- Gif of Alonso versus Button
- And here's JEV versus Grossshhhitt they were nearly three abreast going through there
- Annnnnnd speaking of being abreast... this is the boobified champagne glass Rod was talking about. It's Kate Moss, not Tara Moss. Der.